National Nutrition Month
We celebrate National Nutrition Month by promoting the importance of making informed food choices while developing both sound eating and physical activity habits.
National Nutrition Month® was initiated in 1973 as National Nutrition Week, and it became a month-long observance in 1980 in response to growing interest in nutrition. The second Wednesday of March is Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day, an annual celebration of the dedication of RDNs as the leading advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world. This year’s observance will be March 10.
This year, we want to encourage meal personalization and make it a habit. Here are a few simple things that we could do to achieve this:
- Meal Planning: Enjoy healthful eating at school, work, and at home
- Cooking and Prep: Learn skills to create tasty meals to share and enjoy
- Vary Your Diet: Eat a variety of nutritious foods every day that you enjoy
Remember, prepare and eat the meals that “you enjoy” because eating healthy should not be a chore.
For our product highlight of the month:
Lacto Prime Plus by Klaire Labs (Probiotic)
A probiotic supplement that could help your gut. This broad-spectrum, 12-strain blend of 7 Lactobacillus and 5 Bifidobacterium species is provided in a base of purified plant cellulose. This formula is free of inulin and other prebiotics and polysaccharides making it suitable for those who have dietary restrictions.
It is free of the following common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, corn, yeast, and soybeans. Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. All ingredients are of the highest quality and purity available. Formulated for the most sensitive individual.
Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement, take one capsule daily or as directed by a healthcare practitioner. Capsules may be pulled apart and nutrients taken separately.
Click HERE to order from FullScript.
What is colorectal cancer?
Colorectal cancer (CRC), also known as bowel cancer and colon cancer, is the development of cancer from the colon or rectum (parts of the large intestine).
Relevant Facts worth sharing:
- Among cancers that affect both men and women, colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.
- Every year, about 140,000 people in the United States get colorectal cancer, and more than 50,000 people die of it.
- Precancerous polyps and colorectal cancer don’t always cause symptoms, especially at first. If you have symptoms, they may include blood in or on the stool, abdominal pain that doesn’t go away, or losing weight and you don’t know why. If you have any of these symptoms, see your doctor.
- There are several screening test options like stool tests and a colonoscopy test is needed to complete the screening process. See your doctor about which is right for you as early detection is important.
- It is important to review your GI health with your provider to help prevent colon cancer.
Colorectal polyps and colorectal cancer don’t always cause symptoms, especially at first. Someone could have polyps or colorectal cancer and not know it. That is why getting screened regularly for colorectal cancer is so important.
If you have symptoms, they may include:
- A change in bowel habits.
- Blood in or on your stool (bowel movement).
- Diarrhea, constipation, or feeling that the bowel does not empty all the way.
- Abdominal pain, aches, or cramps that don’t go away.
- Losing weight and you don’t know why.
That is why awareness is key as this prompts you to make better lifestyle choices for you and your family.
Clinic Reminders and Precautionary Measures:
Due to the pandemic, business is being conducted differently at the clinic.
Follow up appointments that DO NOT REQUIRE any physical examination or in-office therapy will be conducted via:
- Phone Consultation
Patients who REQUIRE a physical exam or service, the following is clinic protocol to enter the premises:
- Facemask must be worn to enter the clinic (Mesh masks NOT allowed)
- Boby temperature scan upon entering
- Hand sanitizer dispensed upon entering
Other changes to be noted:
- The number of appointments per day has been reduced to allow time for sanitation of the clinic space and prevent more than one patient in the lobby simultaneously.
- For patients who wish to purchase supplements, please call us in advance that way we can schedule a pickup time.
Thank you for your patience with the new matter that your health care is being conducted!!!!
Prescription & Appointment Reminders:
- 2-week advance notice is REQUIRED per Clinic Policies.
- Ask your pharmacy to send the clinic a prescription refill request
- Reaching out to the clinic as a secondary reminder is helpful but having the pharmacy send us the request is still mandatory.
- Dr. Ferreira conducts patient chart reviews at the end of the week prior to authorizing the request to ensure the prescription is still appropriate (appt. or labs may be indicated).
Emergency Refill Requests:
- Requesting a refill when you have run out may subject you to a fee. We reserve the right to charge for an Emergency Refill for a time frame less than that of clinic policy.
- You may need to ask your pharmacy to provide you an emergency supply if Dr. Ferreira is absent due to an unforeseen circumstance and/or conference.
Messages to Dr. Ferreira:
- Dr. Ferreira addresses these messages on her admin day so please be patient.
- Messages via the patient portal and/or clinic email directed to Dr. Ferreira should be of NON-URGENT matters.
- For URGENT matters please do not send a message but rather contact the clinic to make an appointment so your concern may be addressed appropriately. You may also schedule an appointment online via the Patient Portal on Patient Fusion by logging in HERE.
- Avoid the $50 cancellation fee by canceling 2 business days prior to your scheduled appointment – Clinic Cancellation Policy.
- Allows us to schedule patients who may be desire an earlier date from their scheduled appointment
- Dr. Ferreira can then prepare for the correct patients on schedule as she reviews cases a few days before your appointment.
Here are a couple of benefits of activating your Patient Fusion Account:
- A quick click to schedule a new appointment or reschedule one you can’t make.
- Receive reminders for upcoming appointments so you don’t forget! A great way to avoid late cancellation fees.
Our full list of Clinic policies & Portal Login can be also found on the website under the “Current Patients” tab found HERE.
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions and/or concerns! We would like to thank everyone in advance for following our precautionary measures for our safety. Thank you for your continued support and we wish for your safety!
As always, Empowered Healing leads to Empowered Health, resulting in an Empowered YOU!