Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Day
Each October 24th, the Acupuncture and herbal medicine profession celebrates Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine Day, paying homage to the remarkable history, effects, and impact of acupuncture and herbal medicine on countless people worldwide.
Acupuncture is a form of complementary therapy that involves inserting very thin needles into the body. Practitioners insert needles at different locations and depths to treat different health issues.
Acupuncture is a common complementary therapy that can help people manage many different conditions.
Benefits of acupuncture include the following:
- People can effectively combine acupuncture with other treatments.
- Effective acupuncture can help manage chronic pain, migraine, and headaches.
- Acupuncture carries a low risk of side effects.
- It is a flexible form of treatment that can target numerous health concerns at once.
The NCCIH (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health) states that acupuncture can effectively assist in the treatment of:
- low back pain
- neck pain
- knee pain
Other studies suggest that acupuncture can also assist in the treatment of:
- peripheral neuropathy
- rheumatoid arthritis
Pumpkin Spice Oat Milk Latte
The use of fresh spices and caramelization of canned pumpkin brings rich flavors to this favorite fall beverage.
- 32 oz. oat milk (look for a barista brand with higher fat content and no added sugars)
- 1 thimble (about 1 tbsp.) fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp. fresh nutmeg
- 16 oz. can pumpkin
1. Peel, slice, and smash the fresh ginger.
2. Use a microplane to grate the nutmeg.
3. Add the oat milk, ginger, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and canned pumpkin to a saucepan.
4. Heat over medium heat to bring to boil, then immediately drop the heat to keep at a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. (Consistent stirring will prevent the pumpkin from sticking to the bottom of the pan as it caramelizes.)
5. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh colander. Store in the refrigerator for up to six days.
6. When ready to use, place your preferred amount of the flavored oat milk (about 8 ounces) in a mug and heat to warm. If you have a handheld frother or emersion blender, use it to add a foamy touch. Pour over espresso and enjoy. If desired, add pure maple syrup for additional sweetness, or a sprinkle of cinnamon or fresh nutmeg.